Duterte: “No more peace talks”

President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday said he was no longer inclined to pursue peace talks with communist rebels even if Jose Maria “Joma” Sison declared that the New People’s Army (NPA) would observe a unilateral holiday ceasefire.

“Itong komunista (These communists), I’m no longer ready to talk to you. I’ve done it before. Magmukha lang tayong gago (We will only look stupid),” Duterte said in his speech during the awarding ceremony for child-friendly municipalities and cities in Malacañang.

No more peace talks – Duterte | The Manila Times Online

President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday said he was no longer inclined to pursue peace talks with communist rebels even if Jose Maria “Joma” Sison declared that the New People’s Army (NPA) would observe a unilateral holiday ceasefire. “Itong komunista (These communists), I’m no longer ready to

The President then slammed Sison, saying he would slap him if he returns to the country.

“You insult me, I insult you. Huwag ka na lang umuwi dito (You should not come home), I promise you, I’ll slap you. Kapag pinilit mo sa airport bumalik, P****-i** mo, sampalin kita. Pakain ko sa’yo — ‘yung pustiso mo, leche ka (If you insist on returning, at the airport, you son of b****, I’ll slap you. I will let you eat your false teeth),” Duterte said.

“T***-i** nito, mayabang ka, akala mo kung sinong magsalita. Akala mo naman abugadong mas bright pa sa ‘yo (You son of b****, you’re arrogant, you talk as if you know everything),” he added.

On Sunday, Sison said the communists were set to observe a holiday truce to allow guerillas and their families to “freely enjoy” the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) on December 26.

It has become a tradition for the military and communist guerillas to observe a truce during the holidays through separate ceasefire declarations.

But the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said it was not inclined to recommend a truce.

Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo, AFP spokesman said, the military did not want the rebels to use the holiday truce as an opportunity to celebrate their 50th anniversary.

“We do not want to give them the opportunity to gather and mass up, to joyfully celebrate their 50th anniversary,”Arevalo said.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana also rejected the idea of the ceasefire, saying there was no need to declare a suspension of military operations (SOMO) in line with the CPP’s 50th anniversary.

“I have objected to a SOMO. We shall not allow the CPP to use a SOMO to celebrate their 50th anniversary,” Lorenzana told reporters.

Duterte terminated peace talks between the government and the communist group in November last year amid the NPA’s continued attacks on state troops.

With Dempsey Reyes

What do you think about this article? Make sure to leave a comment below!
Loading...
Tell Us What You Think